1.30.2011

simplicity

i was looking through my journal today to remind myself of all my good ideas and i came across this sentence:
"there is beauty in simplicity."

this sentence carries a lot of weight for me. i think i may even want to frame it by my front door as a little reminder to myself. this simple sentence is somewhat of a mantra of mine because it reminds me that even though i love being busy, i love going over-the-top, and i love sensory overload, down in my heart of hearts i love simplicity.

in design, i adore a clean and beautiful space with thoughtful, meaningful decor.
in my life, i love simplicity and crave a simple life. my favorite things are music, art, nature, color, self-expression - all things simple.

my dream future includes teaching my children to love plants, animals, and nature; to love music; to love art; to be kind, generous, and loving; to work hard; to respect themselves and others... i want to garden and do yoga, make music with my family, put on plays with the neighbor kids... is this getting too sugary? well you get the picture. these are not necessarily values that everyone appreciates, but if i do these things i know i will be happy.

so anyway... here is some visual inspiration of what i think are simple, beautiful spaces.

my dream home in seoul, south korea. from dwell magazine.
gorgeousness from peter pennoyer.
simple doesn't have to mean neutral.

simply lovely. from house beautiful.

5 comments:

  1. house beautiful i think! i was in LOVE with that space and featured it on my blog when it came out. pretty sure it was house beautiful.
    love your thoughts on simplicity. sometimes i need those reminders :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. your taste has changed a touch! i remember when you told the class that you thought the calm neutral rooms i liked were 'boring' (: haha ..i'm so proud of you for loving it!

    ps. you're going to rock momhood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, we use to put on plays at your house when we were little!! I forgot about that! What a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @kels- yes!! it did come from house beautiful! thank you!!

    @arica... you know i still love me a room filled with color. but there is something serene about a neutral room that's layered and textured just right. :)

    and kristine - haha, those were hilarious times. good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree. Love that Pres. Uchdorf reminded us that Leonardo da Vinci is quoted as saying that “simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”

    ReplyDelete